Who needs a Director Identification Number?
You will need a Director ID if you are a director of:
- a company
- an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation
- a corporate trustee (for example, of a self-managed super fund)
- a charity or not-for-profit organisation that is a company or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation
- a registered Australian body (for example, an incorporated association that is registered with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) and trades outside the state or territory in which it is incorporated)
- a foreign company registered with ASIC and carrying on business in Australia (regardless of where you live).
If your organisation has an Australian Business Number (ABN), you can use the ABN Lookup service to find out if it is registered with ASIC as:
- a company – which will have an Australian Company Number (ACN)
- a registered Australian body – which will have an Australian Registered Body Number (ARBN)
- a registered foreign company – which will have an ARBN.
The Office of the Registrar of Indigenous Corporations maintains a register of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporations. These corporations have an Indigenous Corporation Number (ICN) and may also have an ABN.
When do you need to apply for a Director Identification Number?
When you must apply for your director ID depends on the date you become a director.
|Date you became a director||Date you must apply
|On or before 31 October 2021||By 30 November 2022
|Between 1 November 2021 and 4 April 2022||Within 28 days of appointment
|From 5 April 2022||Before you become a director
For further information on Director Identification Numbers visit
The Australian Business Registry Services
For further information or assistance regarding your Director Identification Number, please contact your Bentleys advisor.
Disclaimer: This information is general in nature and should not be relied on as advice. It does not take into account the objectives, financial situation or needs of any particular person. You need to consider your financial situation and needs and seek professional advice before making any decisions based on this information.